Wednesday, October 18, 2006

WATCHER 2

My cousin just got in touch with me about this. She loves writing and recalls, at the age of 7, making up a magical story about being chased down a rabbit-hole by a giant beetle. Her parents loved it. Why? Because it was 'childish', so when she was 14 - and still writing - being 'childish' was no longer allowed so she found she had to start faking it, pretend that she was somehow adult by being 'intelligent' or 'sensitive' or 'humorous' or 'mature'.

YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF.

2 comments:

Lana Page said...

Hi again...
I must agree... I do enjoy growing into a 'bigger kid', with 'bigger kid' eyes and 'bigger kid' things to think about... No harm there. But I do encounter some very dangerous big kids... And they do make me wonder: What is this apparently ceaseless, yearning 'need'? To be weened to excess? To resolve the torments of the playground? To always sit on top of the Wendy House? To forever dismiss a proper packed lunch?
You see, the problem is... from what I recall... kids would see you dead beneath a bus and still request a Mars Bar.
Lana

Unknown said...

Ive been like that my whole life. And it differs from "Kidults."

A vast difference.

Between art( childlike ) and childish ( forever "unweened.")